Merry Christmas - Safety Tips for the Holidays

Posted by Stephanie Junek on

Dasher and Dancer, Prancer and Vixen, Comet and Cupid, Donner and Blitzen. Wait, where is Santa? "Rudolph, turn on your nose and find Santa!" Before Rudolph turns on his lights, he will explain to us the importance of electrical safety on Christmas. 

Hi, I am Rudolph, the not so red nosed reindeer, here to tell you why my nose won't shine so bright. There are dangerous risks involved with celebrating the holidays and before I can safely plug my nose in, I think we should talk about the importance of keeping your family safe this Christmas. 

I heard you are having the family over to celebrate the holiday. You will have to cook, clean and prepare yourself for the festivities. Make sure you check your home for safety concerns. Nothing ruins a holiday like an electrical shock or fire. 

Check your appliances, decorations and electrical beauty supplies for frayed, loose or damaged cords and/or plugs. Make sure you do not overload your outlets and are not running electrical wires under rugs, over curtains or under any heavy furniture. 

One year, Vixen was charging his GPS Smartphone, two days before Christmas eve. He plugged it in and ran the cord under the sleigh to his stable. Santa moved the sleigh slightly and unknowingly cut the cable jacket, damaging the wires inside the cable. This caused a shock and some smoke. I caught it before it caused a fire and ruined Christmas for all the good little girls and boys.   

Make sure, especially if you live in an older home or apartment building, that your electrical wiring is up to code and adequately wired. Improper wiring is a fire and an electrical hazard. Frayed or damaged lights and/or cords should not be used to decorate your home or placed on your Christmas tree. 

Candles should not be place on or near flammable liquids and never near your Christmas tree. Don't forget alcoholic beverages are flammable. Remember to keep candles and flames away from children.  

Christmas trees and decorations are a common cause of house fires, during Christmas. It is important to keep your tree stand filled with an adequate amount of water. Also keep it away from heat like radiators, furnace ducts, televisions, computers, lamps and fireplaces.

Now that we know how to be electrically safe this Christmas, I think it is safe to plug in my nose, let it shine so bright and find Santa.

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!

Stephanie Junek | Marketing Manager | Cordtec Power Corp.


Share this post



← Older Post Newer Post →


Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published.